Divers Alert Network® (DAN®) is now accepting applications for the 2020 DAN/R.W. “Bill” Hamilton Dive Medicine Research Grant. The year-long, US$10,000 grant supports new or ongoing research projects in one or more of the following areas:
- Development of decompression procedure techniques for commercial, military, technical and/or recreational divers
- Development of new decompression models
- Probability of risk or probabilistic modeling
- Multi-gas dive simulation
- Dive computer procedures, protocols and testing
- Treatment of incomplete decompression and resulting incidents
“Decompression safety was Bill Hamilton’s life’s work,” said Petar Denoble, DAN Vice President of Mission. “We established this grant to carry on his legacy and to support the next generation of researchers studying diving physiology and advanced decompression procedures. We’re excited to help fund and promote research that builds on Bill’s work and that can ultimately help save lives.”
DAN established the research grant in honor of Dr. R.W. “Bill” Hamilton, who passed away in 2011 at the age of 81. Hamilton, nicknamed The Prince of Gases, conducted research on dive physiology and the treatment of injured divers. He authored numerous papers, reports and workshop proceedings. He is perhaps best known for co-developing the Diving Computational Analysis Program (DCAP), a computer program that analyzes and develops decompression procedures and schedules for a wide variety of exposures to pressure.
Applicants can be involved in any aspect of dive-related sciences, but the spirit of the program is to support projects closely related to Dr. Hamilton’s studies. The grant is open to applicants at any stage of their professional education or career, and recipients are required to present their results to DAN.
To apply for the R.W. Hamilton Memorial Dive Research Grant, email Frauke Tillmans at FTillmans@DAN.org. The deadline for applications is March 15, 2020.
2019-2020 Divers Alert Network (USA) Career Opportunities
Divers Alert Network is looking to recruit for several positions:
- A Professional Membership Specialist
- A Member Relations Specialist
- to assist members by answering questions from incoming calls, voicemails and emails. Problem-solve, troubleshoot and provide support to members while providing a high level of customer service. As a member of the team, you are the frontline of the organization.
- A Liability Insurance Specialist
- You will have exemplary knowledge and be able to assess clients’ needs of all professional service and/or insurance programs offered by DAN. You maintain a high standard of customer service while effectively responding to questions and providing program details from incoming calls, voicemails and emails. The ability to troubleshoot basic technical issues or address the concerns of clients while developing a satisfactory resolution is essential.
You can find these and more on the DAN USA Careers webpage.
If you enjoy working with people and share a passion for scuba diving, DAN would like to hear from you. To submit a résumé for consideration, please do one of the following:
- Email it: email@example.com
- Fax it: +1-919-493-3456, Attn: HR/Personnel Department.
- Mail it: HR Department, Divers Alert Network, 6 West Colony Place, Durham, NC 27705 USA
DAN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.